Overnight or Long Term Readings on Elite HRV
Using Elite HRV’s “Open Reading”, you can take readings for as long or often as you like. Many users use this to take readings overnight to monitor their sleep.
A few considerations:
- Wrist-worn devices tend to be sensitive to movement artifacts, and you can't really prevent these from happening if your wearable is taking readings sporadically throughout the day.
- Regarding context (even while wearing a chest strap), your HRV is sensitive to stressors that you may experience throughout the day. HRV itself changes naturally throughout the day, which further complicates the analysis.
- Instead, we have repeatedly found that 90%+ of the insights can be derived from consistent morning "rapid" readings, which are not affected by the same errors or "noise".
- Your HRV monitor must be able to stay on you for extended periods of time without picking up movement artifacts. A chest strap monitor is currently the best option for this.
- Whether during sleep or throughout the day, it is important to make sure the chest strap does not pick up too many signal artifacts. This can be achieved by ensuring that it is adequately tight around the chest and using strap gel (link)
- Longer readings (greater than 30 minutes) require a lot of processing power to detect and correct artifacts and to generate frequency domain values. These readings will be processed in the background and results will be displayed after processing. It may take several hours to process.
- Certain phones close apps that run in the background. If you find your phone closes the Elite HRV app after a while, then a “night clock” app can help alleviate this. Night clock apps keep the phone’s screen awake while consuming minimal power. Users have reported that this allows Elite HRV to continue reading for long periods of time without disconnecting.
Example apps that can keep the screen awake:
If your reading does get disconnected, all data up the point of disconnection is automatically saved locally on your phone or tablet. You will need to “sync” the Elite HRV app for the reading to be saved – at which point you can then add notes/tags to the reading as well.
To sync the Elite HRV, pull down with your finger on the Home screen of the app until you see a Loading or Syncing icon.